Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Slow-Cooker Pot Roast With Vegetables

This is a first! I've never been a big fan of roast beef. It tends to be dry and tasteless. However I saw this recipe in the 2004 SL Annual Recipes and decided to try it. As is typical for me, I didn't actually read the recipe until I had everything in the slow cooker. :) Turns out, it's not actually a slow-cooker recipe. But that's how I made it and it was good. The meat was moist and tender and the veggies were just right. Following is the method I used. (Note: You are supposed to sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper. Then brown the meat on all sides in hot oil in a large skillet before placing it in the slow cooker. However at 4:30 this morning, I didn't want to smell meat, so I skipped the browning step. It worked fine this way, but browning will caramelize the beef a bit and add depth of flavor.) Cost per serving: $2

Slow-Cooker Pot Roast With Vegetables
1.5 lb. small red potatoes
1 (1-lb.) bag baby carrots
1 onion, cut in large chunks
Salt and pepper
1 (3-lb.) chuck roast
1 (0.7-oz.) envelope Italian dressing mix
1 (12-oz.) bottle beer or 1 1/2 cups beef broth

1. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion pieces on bottom of slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place roast on top of veggies, and sprinkle with Italian dressing mix. Pour beer over meat in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until meat and veggies are tender.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I do not like to be AWAKE at 4:30, never mind smell meat. But this looks delish.