Sunday, March 15, 2009

Beignets

Yesterday morning when I woke up, I decided I really wanted to make beignets. Full disclosure: For some reason I have never actually had beignets, but I knew I would like them. Who doesn't like fried dough? So I got out Joy of Cooking to find out what was involved. The recipe below is based on that. Mine took all kinds of different shapes, not just circles. I had some commas, some gourd-shaped ones, and the first efforts were basically mini funnel cakes. I made them last night for my sister and her family and then refrigerated the extra batter. The ones I made tonight from the refrigerated dough worked a little better. I'll definitely made these again. (This recipe makes enough for a party; I recommend quartering or halving it if you are only serving a few.)

Beignets
2 cups water
1 cup butter
8 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
12 eggs
4 tsp. vanilla extract
Peanut or vegetable oil
Powdered sugar

1. Combine water and next 3 ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes together. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, with an electric mixer 2 to 3 minutes after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
2 Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a Dutch oven. Heat oil to 365°. Drop in tablespoonfuls of batter, in batches, and cook beignets until puffed and golden on all sides. Remove from oil, and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.

No comments: